Sunday, October 19, 2008

Prayer--Petitioning and Receiving

by David Hobbs

I have the privilege of praying with different groups of people. Even though all are anointed, there is a big difference in styles and giftings. One group in particular is very anointed, very zealous. Nobody waits on anything. As soon as one person stops praying, another jumps in. Since I’m more of the “quick to hear and slow to speak” school, I generally listen to the other people pray without being able to get a word in edgewise, unless I feel an incredible unction; then I just jump in with both feet and battle it out with the rest!
I can’t fault people who pray like this. They're zealous, they're hearing from God; they’re more anointed than most people; God loves to hear their prayers. Just because it’s not my style, doesn’t make it wrong. God is ver-r-r-r-y big and has room for all kinds of expressions. He might even get bored if everyone prayed the same. (Can God get bored? I’m sure the answer is “yes.” I imagine He gets bored almost to tears by many of our church meetings.)
When we come before God in an intercessory mode, we approach Him as petitioners before the bench (legal term). We bring our petitions before the “Judge of all the Earth” (Gen. 18:25), and ask Him to do whatever it is we’re asking for. This is a great honor--to be able to come before the throne of God through the blood of Christ--and a great responsibility! But it’s not the only relationship we’re privileged to have with God. He also calls us “friends” and Himself our Father, and we His children—far more intimate relationships than as plantiffs in a courtroom pleading before the Judge.
On numerous occasions we have been in this non-stop petitioning mode for an extended period when there will be a pause. I sense God wanting a change in the agenda. He wants to take off His robes, step down from the bench and welcome us with open arms and love all over us. I stretch out my arms to receive Him as His child, and feel the Holy Spirit’s presence rise dramatically… when all of a sudden someone leads out in petitioning prayer again. Instantly God is back on His throne in His judicial robes to receive this next petition. And we won’t let Him off His throne! We keep demanding it of Him by lifting up our non-stop petitions. Though His heart is to come down and love us, we’re having none of it—more prayers, more prayers, more prayers! (Even though there is probably not one He hasn’t heard before, and the Bible says He knows what we need before we even ask Him.) When the time is finally up, we break up the prayer meeting and disperse, never giving the Father the time He craves with His children.

1 comment:

Beth Ward said...

I went through a period of several months when I couldn't think of a thing to say in prayer. Instead I meditated and listened. It was so strange, but I know that God was working on a relationship in me. Through this He got me to listen more and talk less - definitely a God feat.