Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Tony's Story--An Instrument of salvation and Healing

By Tony Vasquez

(I have known Tony and his wife Jo for 6 years, praying with them every week down at our state capital in Sacramento for most of that time. They live by faith, and God does quite extraordinary things with them from time to time ... David Hobbs)

A short time ago my bride Jo and I needed to go to the P.O. in a nearby supermarket to mail a past due bill. I decided to stay in the vehicle to catch up on some calls I needed to make. Moments had passed when the sound of urgent tapping on the car window startled me. It was Jo. She had an anxious look as if something urgent needed attending.
            “There’s a man on the corner with a shopping cart whom I think needs help! He is near the entrance of the supermarket.” She exclaimed, hastening me to help him.
            As I approached the cart, there stood a fairly well-built thirty-something man of African descent, about 5’ 10” in height, with his arm bound in an Ace bandage from his fingertips to his elbow and braced in a makeshift sling. He was speaking into his cell phone with great agitation with what appeared to be all of his possessions in the shopping cart he was guarding.
            “Hello, my name is Pastor Tony; is there anything I can do to help?”
            Responding with a troubled look, he explained in a strong, African accent, “I work in a job in trucking and I hurt my hand on the job early this morning. The foreman took me to a clinic where they told me my hand was broken. Since I had no medical coverage, the foreman told me he couldn’t use me like this and he dropped me off at this shopping center.”
            “Do you need a ride home?” I asked.

LOVING THE STRANGER
            “I live in Boston. I have just enough on my card to pay for a plane ticket; I don’t have enough to pay for a cab to get to the airport from here. The taxi said the faire would be about $100,” he said in clear frustration.
            “My wife and I will be glad to take you to the airport,  no charge,” I smiled. “But first would you let us pray that Jesus would heal your hand?”
            His eyes shifted to the ground as if searching to answer. “You cannot pray for me,” he spoke in almost a whisper. “I used to serve Jesus but am in a backslidden state. I ran from Jesus to come to America to make money. I am too ashamed to ask Him for help now.”
            “What is your name?” I asked, trying to redirect his focus, “are you African?”
            “I am Ben, and I am from Nigeria,” he responded.
            “Well Ben, as friends of Jesus we can tell you for sure that Jesus wants to heal you!” Before he could say another word, my wife Jo and I placed our hands gently on his shoulder. “Jesus, You love Your son Benjamin. He needs his hands to work. Heal him we pray, amen.”
            “Ben,” I said, “before you get to the airport the Holy Spirit will touch you. God is not a child abuser. He is a healer!”

A WILD RIDE
            About ten minutes into what could have been a very quiet ride I heard our passenger sniffling quietly.
            “I’m sorry about your pain; I’ll try to stay in the lane with less bumps,” I said, trying to comfort him.
            “I am crying because I don’t deserve this!” he said. “The pain in my hand is all but gone!! Only my thumb hurts now!!” He continued moving his fingers in amazement. With tears of gratefulness streaming down his beautiful brown face, he prayed in humility, “Jesus, I come back to You. Thank you for my life! I will go back to church and seek your face. Amen.”
           
HIS WORD IS TRUE
            With great joy and kindness, we began to tell him the truth of God’s word: that the call on his life was without repentance (Rom. 11:29). He began to weep again in wonder, declaring, “God has found me again today! I know He knows me; I will go back to my church and preach.” He was still wiggling his fingers hoping to be completely healed.
           
SUDDENLY
            When we arrived at the airport twenty minutes later and went to the ticket counter, the young man’s hand was still slightly pained. We gave him some extra cash for food after helping with his luggage. As soon as the boarding pass was put into his hand, Benjamin shouted in amazement, “No pain! No pain! The pain is all gone!”
            It was as if Holy Spirit was confirming to him at the last moment that his place was to be home with his wife and children in Boston. He then excitedly unwrapped his arm, banging it with his left hand and waving the previously pained hand for everyone to see. “THANK YOU JESUS!” he exclaimed, now expressing his freedom by dancing for joy as only an African can.
            Wow! Jesus sent a blissful, renewed man off to his wife and children whole; no longer looking for the riches the world brings, but the riches of the souls of men. What a thrilling LIFE: To be part of the Kingdom of God!

Email Tony and Jo at globalfirenetministry@gmail.com 

No comments: